The Sni Valley Fire Protection District responds to numerous reports of opening burning each year. Make sure that the next time you light up your backyard grill, you do it safely!
Each year, about 600 fires/explosions nationally occur with gas grills resulting in injuries to about 30 people. Propane gas is highly flammable. The new safety standard for propane gastanks requires that an "over-fill prevention device" be installed in new gas tanks. The new propane gas tanks have valve handles with three "lobes" (prongs) while older tanks have valve handles with five prongs. People with older propane gas tanks should trade them in for the new, safer tanks.
Each year about 19 people die nationally as a result of CO fumes from charcoal being burned inside. Charcoal produces carbon monoxide (CO) when it is burned. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments.
Gas Grill Safety Tips
Check grill hoses for cracking, brittleness, holes, and leaks.
Make sure there are no sharp bends in the hose or tubing.
Move gas hoses as far away as possible from hot surfaces and dripping hot grease.
Always keep propane gas containers upright.
Never store a spare gas container under or near the grill or indoors.
Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
Never keep a filled container in a hot car or car trunk. Heat will cause the gas pressure to increase, which may open the relief valve and allow gas to escape.
Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year. Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame, turn off the gas tank and grill. If the leak stops, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department. If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
Charcoal Grill Safety Tips
Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers.
Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided.
Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.
There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.