113.701 Summary. The Firefighter/Paramedic is an entry level, nonexempt position. Controls and extinguishes fires, protects life and property, performs emergency medical services and maintains equipment as regular full-time shift employee of Sni Valley by performing the following duties.
113.702 Essential Duties and Responsibilities. Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Responds to fire alarms and other emergency calls.
· Selects hose and nozzle, depending on type of fire, and directs stream of water or foam onto fire.
· Positions and climbs ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings or to assist individuals from burning structures.
· Creates openings in buildings for ventilation or entrance.
· Protects property from water and smoke by use of salvage covers, smoke ejectors, etc.
· Communicates with superior during emergency incidents by portable two-way radio and/or face to face.
· Inspects buildings for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention ordinances and/or codes.
· Maintains apparatus, quarters, buildings, equipment, and grounds.
· Participates in drills, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and firefighting techniques.
· Assesses nature and extent of illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures to be followed or need for additional assistance.
· Restores and stabilizes heart rhythm on pulseless, non-breathing patients.
· Monitors cardiac patients.
· Initiates intravenous fluids to administer medications or drugs, or to replace fluids lacking in the body.
· Performs endotracheal intubation to open airways and ventilate patients.
· Administers injections of medications and drugs.
· Inflates pneumatic anti-shock garments on patients to improve blood circulation.
· Administers initial treatment at emergency scenes and takes and records patient's vital signs.
· Assists in extricating trapped victims and transports sick and injured persons to treatment centers.
· Observes, records, and reports to physician the patient's condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents.
· Communicates with physicians and other medical personnel via radio and telephone.
113.703 Supervisory Responsibilities. None.
113.704 Qualifications. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
113.705 Education and Experience.
· High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
113.706 Language Skills.
· Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
· Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
113.707 Mathematical Skills.
· Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
· Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
113.708 Reasoning Ability
· Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
· Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
113.709 Certificates, Licenses, Registrations.
· Shall possess certification according to NFPA 1001 Standard at no less than the Firefighter-I level.
· Shall hold licensure from the State of Missouri at no less than the EMT-P level.
· Shall hold hazardous materials certification at no less than the Operations level.
· Shall possess a valid Operator's driver's license from the State of Missouri.
113.710 Physical Demands. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
113.711 Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, explosives, risk of radiation, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.